Singapore Internet Exchange
To strengthen Singapore’s status as a major info-communications hub in the Asia Pacific region, the Infocomm Media Development Authority of Singapore (IMDA) facilitated the incorporation of Singapore Internet Exchange Limited (SGIX), an industry-owned Internet Exchange provider with the objective of seeking both international and regional carriers to choose Singapore as their Internet hub while at the same time, encouraging Internet content providers to host their Internet content in the country.
SGIX has grown since incorporation and is currently one of the largest open and neutral Internet Exchanges in Asia.
For Local Retail Service Providers:
- Reduces operating costs as there is no need to establish multiple links to exchange traffic amongst themselves
- Enhances their delivery of broadband services by reducing latency
For International and Regional Service Providers:
- Extensive global connectivity
- Effective exchange of international traffic
For Content & Gaming providers:
- Enables content to reach out to local and regional users efficiently